Monday, July 20

No I Don't Think I So.

I got to Queens College at 4:50 pm and there was a very, very short line for the concert. Oh and the concert wasn't until 8:00 pm, by the way.

When I got there, Crispy greeted me phone-in-ear talking to who-know-who. My guess was Andre, but I could have been wrong. She introduced me to her brother (who I've met a thousand times over) and to her piano student, Amanda. They were there since 3:00, when Crispy picked them up from camp.

The wait was more than interesting. Between the volunteer ushering and the kid watching, I was pretty content and more than happy to be out of my tower.

The kids were behaved though...well, for the most part.





Yup. Kids doing kid things...like uh, home work? Yeah, I thought that was strange too.

Mrs. Crespo shortly arrived after I got there and we were sent to the Chinese restaurant to pick up food while we waited on line. Crispy and I walked the same paths we did back in high school and the entire thing summed up into a nostalgic adventure. Not only was the venue the place that our class graduated in, but the neighboring shops were the same ones that kept us sane after Q17 bus rides home.

Anyway, 7:00 came when the tickets were given. Going in was Mass Hysteria. These obnoxious ladies who barely understood English not only cut in front of us, but pushed their way through a group of people. At this point, I had Christopher and Amanda by me just so Crispy and Mrs. Crespo could go ahead and pick our seats.

Finally, we get to another door, the one to the hall. Two doors opened and our didn't.
People yelled at the Door Girl to open the doors. Pushing. Shoving. Angry people screaming all at the same time at this helpless girl who was just waiting for orders from her boss.
When she finally opened the door, everyone rushed through the tiny entrance. I let Crispy and her mom go first while I held the two kids. It got to the point that the crowd and this awful guy were pushing the kids and I had enough. I turned around and gave the crowd a piece of my mind.

STOP PUSHING THE KIDS.

I looked at all of them for a good 2 seconds and gave the dirtiest glare I could ever muster. As my mother said, if looks can kill, I've made this world end a thousand times over.

Everyone was quiet for about that time that I screamed at them. And no, I don't owe anyone an apology especially that guy in the navy shirt with a camera bag. If you have the audacity of pushing two old ladies in front of you and children just to get a pick at a seat, you must be the rudest #$%^&#****er in the world.
Excuse my love for symbols.

Oh and again, when we were finally inside. He kept shoving me and the kids that I was protecting from the inconsiderate mob.
For one thing, I do not regret stopping him in his tracks that second time around. There was enough space to walk through that he didn't need to follow me, Christopher, and Amanda.
I wish he would get it through his thick skull that it's obnoxious when one person has to yell like a banshee at the poor door girl to open the door and shove people at the same time.
I hate seeing kids get hurt, just like any decent human being. Apparantly this insensitive dumbo is far from what anyone should consider a "decent human being."

When they finally made up their mind where to sit, we headed for the bathroom that had a line extending from across the lobby. I was still rattled and I had to explain it to Amanda how stunned I was through Pokemon terms.

After, we just chilled while Mrs. Crespo got autographs.





Christopher's version of Bowling for Soup's "1985"

At 8:00, the place was filled. The New York Philharmonic Orchestra began with Alan Gilbert.


Teaser.

My favorite way to listen to classical music is to hear it live since I get lost in the performance altogether. And that's exactly what happened. I would go through the pieces with something far more colorful that Fantasia and far better than daydreaming.
And yes, thank you. All done when sober.

Despite the yelling and frustrations, I had so much fun. I enjoyed myself being surrounded in bliss that came from every instrument on stage.

I have Crispy to thank for all this (:

~~~

2 comments:

  1. Wow Joi. I had no idea people were there since like 4! That's insane as well as the bathroom line. Lol my mom and I just strolled in a few minutes after 8 just in time for the introductions and found pretty good seats actually. I'm glad I missed all the commotion prior to the concert, but good for you standing up for those kids. I guess a paying classical music audience is not the same as a non-paying crowd in terms of decency.

    ReplyDelete