Friday, July 24

I've Gone Through More Decades than my Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Grandmother

The other day, Jess and I were just talking about how wonderful and odd fashion is.
Well think about it, styles come back and forth and you find yourself wearing things that your mother once wore. The next thing you know, you're getting belts and pants from her that have now been deemed visually and socially acceptable.
(ahem)
It makes you wonder who dictates the trend, who revives things worn a good number of decades ago and who tells you what's outdated. Don't get me wrong, I love getting new clothes and just trying to make everything look prettier (and if not, prissier than a princess could ever walk down that runway of royalty).

I've had my fill of ups and downs growing up. From the cupcake princess I sported when I was a kid, to the self-conscious baggy pants and shirts with brown gladiator sandals (yeah *****es, I tapped that first) I wore as a tween {someone suggested that it was a reefer look), to the even more confused fluff and stuff-90's reminiscent getup I pulled off in between the tween-teenager stage, to the nothing-brighter than black outfits I thought I was rocking out with my lace and dark skirts in high school, to a more socially acceptable appearance with skirts, lace, and heels I have brought back to my wardrobe. It's much closer to my princess stage without the tiara and the dolls I had as my royal subjects, looking more natural than I've ever looked before.

I'm keeping it this way for a good long while hopefully 'cause my closet is old and can't keep up with the constant change I used to have.

Anyway, Jess also told me that the one "Joi-thing" that she loves the most is the lace deal. A James Tissot painting that have girls sporting lace:


Courtesy of Costume Antique.
And thank you Jess for sending this lovely piece to me (:

Given that I never wore my black lace up to my bustle butt, but I had it nicely tied around my neck. My mom would constantly joke about how it made me look like her kitten named somethingarather out of the somethinghundredormaybeathousand cats she had.
And yes, she is the reason for my very early love of cats.

{Side note: People make me laugh on the inside. Yeah, no.}

Anyway, periods that I love and have affected what I've sported are things that have been dubbed "Eras of Elegance (of yore)." From Medieval, to Renaissance, to Elizabethan, to Baroque, to Gregorian, to Regency, to Victorian, and to Edwardian.
Then I jump to the Jazz and Great Gatsby world of the 1920's with the notable flappers and gangsters that have stolen my heart.
Then there are some escapees such as the long Bohemian skirts, and banded skirts that were worn at a great extent in the 50's, but they don't make up a great portion of what I have.

Yeah, wardrobe's varied and if anything, I'm a byproduct of today's hodgepodge of fashion.
And just like everything I have, my clothing can be as strange and era-mismatched as my sock drawer. Yup, sock drawer.


Point of this entry? Not to show off really, it's just so I can move my previous post down.
Toodles.

~~~

5 comments:

  1. I looooveee lace too.

    I wish I could find it more prevalent in today's clothing stores.
    For now, I just make sure to have at least some lace in my undergarments. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you hated it. At least those were your sentiments in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could wear more lace, but I break out into rashes LOL My skin gets irritated wearing them @.@

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you ever feel confused? I like so much that it's impossible to know where I fit in sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always confused...haha.

    Just as long as I'm in a dress and I look like I could belong way before the 1900's, I think I'm good.

    ReplyDelete